Paid Opportunity: DJ Workshop Leader
© Heather Glazzard
hcmf// is looking for a workshop leader to teach DJ skills to children, young people and members of the community across Kirklees, from a mobile ‘pop-up’ radio. You will work alongside a workshop leader specialising in radio production and together you will devise lesson plans and activities that teach the fundamental elements of DJing and radio production.
We are keen to focus on a wide variety of music, including popular styles such as hip-hop/grime/house. The workshops will introduce and explore a wide range of music genres from different backgrounds and cultures while sharing and discussing DJ and production concepts such as experimentation and sampling.
This project is part of Our Biennale, an exciting new festival for children and young people in Kirklees.
The ideal candidate will have a strong knowledge of popular music genres, DJing experience (from clubs to community centres), the ability to beat-match and mix with a wide variety of styles, and the ability to develop a good rapport with children and young people.
Fee: £100 per 3-hour weekly session for 6 weeks initially, with some ad-hoc weekend work and the potential for more work as the project grows. Further fee negotiable for workshop planning.
- Ability to DJ at a professional level and able to communicate/teach skills effectively
- Ability to DJ in multiple formats, including vinyl and CDJs
- Knowledge and understanding of using and setting up analog and digital DJ equipment
- Competent with at least one music programme for audio editing (i.e. Ableton, logic, reaper, audition.
- Ability to mix and beat-match
- Knowledge and understanding of sampling
- Knowledge and understanding of a wide variety of music genres
- Experience of working with young people and/or ability to develop a friendly rapport with participants
- Ability to work collaboratively with other workshop leaders, school staff and community members
- DBS checked
- Full clean driving license
- Understanding of audio engineering (i.e. mic placement)
If interested, we would like to hear from you!
Please send your CV and a covering letter to hcmf//’s Learning & Participation Officer, Alexandra Richardson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: Monday 27 August.